How to Live When You Die
Vs17 – GOOD – agathos – excellent, distinguished, honorable; MASTER – didaskalos – teacher
- If NOT God – why all Drama – Most IMPORTANT question ever – How not to die when I die?
- Why the question: 1) Has the answer wants APPROVAL 2) He felt something MISSING
Vs18 – Response is peculiar. Some think He was drawing a comparison, leading man to equate God/Jesus
- DISAGREE – doesn’t fit story. Jesus Answering Question w/Question.
- Jesus had two answers – told the man to get rid of the obstacles that are standing between God
- Relied on BEING GOOD
- This was answer #1 – Told him that he was NOT Good
- PROBLEM – GOODNESS IS RELATIVE
- Jesus INCLUDED Himself – WHY? – Phil 2:6-10
Vs19 – Tough to interpret / discern Jesus’ intentions
- Jesus was TESTING the man – Gave Him what HE WANTED
- Saw in him that Being Good was Important – Gave him “GOOD” things to do
- Social part of 10 Commandments – DEFRAUD not a commandment – Jesus wasn’t buying yet
Vs20 – DIFFICULT to Understand the man’s Response
- Is there EMOTION – If so What emotion?
- Was he EXCITED?! Because he had been doing EVERYTHING JESUS listed!
- Was he DISAPPOINTED ☹ Because Jesus (GREAT TEACHER) didn’t give a new SECRET?
- Probably a little DISAPPOINTED and showed some HUMILITY – based on Jesus response.
Vs21 – Jesus SAW CONCERN on his face, HEARD DISAPPOINTMENT in his voice
- The man was SINCERELY concerned about his RELATIONSHIP with God
- He was on his Knees
- Jesus responded EMOTIONALLY – SPURNED him towards love for the man
- Loved EVERYONE so it had to be something MORE
- THIS FITS US!!!
- After he passed the test – Jesus gave him the KEY to the 2nd obstacle – GET RID of Idols, gods
- Really starts to FIT US now! This was about gods and idols – which for the man was his $$$.
Vs22 – The man was sad and he grieved as a result – VERY STRONG WORDS
- This describes how we feel when we BURY a loved one.
- This is TOUGH to understand – HE HAD HIS ANSWER
- Satan USED him, got what he wanted, then LEFT the man HEART-BROKEN
- Told how the man responded and felt – NOT told how Jesus felt. How do you think HE felt?
- For all the man’s sorrow – I think Jesus’ sorrow was 10x greater.
- The ANSWER is right there and MANY people RESPOND the same way