How to Live When You Die
Vs17 – GOOD – agathos – excellent, distinguished, honorable; MASTER – didaskalos – teacher
- If NOT God – why all Drama – Most IMPORTANT question ever – How not to die when I die?
- Why the question: 1) Has the answer wants APPROVAL 2) He felt something MISSING
Vs18 – Response is peculiar. Some think He was drawing a comparison, leading man to equate God/Jesus
- DISAGREE – doesn’t fit story. Jesus Answering Question w/Question.
- Jesus had two answers – told the man to get rid of the obstacles that are standing between God
- Relied on BEING GOOD
- This was answer #1 – Told him that he was NOT Good
- PROBLEM – GOODNESS IS RELATIVE
- Jesus INCLUDED Himself – WHY? – Phil 2:6-10
Vs19 – Tough to interpret / discern Jesus’ intentions
- Jesus was TESTING the man – Gave Him what HE WANTED
- Saw in him that Being Good was Important – Gave him “GOOD” things to do
- Social part of 10 Commandments – DEFRAUD not a commandment – Jesus wasn’t buying yet
Vs20 – DIFFICULT to Understand the man’s Response
- Is there EMOTION – If so What emotion?
- Was he EXCITED?! Because he had been doing EVERYTHING JESUS listed!
- Was he DISAPPOINTED ☹ Because Jesus (GREAT TEACHER) didn’t give a new SECRET?
- Probably a little DISAPPOINTED and showed some HUMILITY – based on Jesus response.
Vs21 – Jesus SAW CONCERN on his face, HEARD DISAPPOINTMENT in his voice
- The man was SINCERELY concerned about his RELATIONSHIP with God
- He was on his Knees
- Jesus responded EMOTIONALLY – SPURNED him towards love for the man
- Loved EVERYONE so it had to be something MORE
- THIS FITS US!!!
- After he passed the test – Jesus gave him the KEY to the 2nd obstacle – GET RID of Idols, gods
- Really starts to FIT US now! This was about gods and idols – which for the man was his $$$.
Vs22 – The man was sad and he grieved as a result – VERY STRONG WORDS
- This describes how we feel when we BURY a loved one.
- This is TOUGH to understand – HE HAD HIS ANSWER
- Satan USED him, got what he wanted, then LEFT the man HEART-BROKEN
- Told how the man responded and felt – NOT told how Jesus felt. How do you think HE felt?
- For all the man’s sorrow – I think Jesus’ sorrow was 10x greater.
- The ANSWER is right there and MANY people RESPOND the same way
Thanks so much to Bellingham House Cleaning, the absolute best at House cleaning in Bellingham, WA, for sponsoring my blog!